teal flowers

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Spotsies

Do you ever have those weeks where everything seems to go badly? Well, we had that this past week. It all ended up working out fine, but there was no end of frustration while it was happening. So here is what happened to us on Thursday. I had plans to work on some preschool things with my friends and have a playdate. I was having it here because our dishwasher was supposed to be delivered and installed. So the kids got up a little late, around 7 (aren't you jealous?!) and I had to get their milk from the downstairs refridgerator because we were all out upstairs. So I put a box of butter and a bag of bread out to take upstairs with the milk, and then I proceeded to put a movie on for the kids. While I was setting up the movie Corbin tells me that he is kind of itchy. So I turn around and I look where he is scratching. His wrist is all covered in red spots. Then I see that they go all the way up his arm. I followed the spots up to his face where they were much darker and scarier. At first I thought they were mosquito bites, but there were far too many of them for that. And they didn't look anything like mosquito bites on his cheeks. My next thought propelled me to action. Could they possibly be chicken pox???
Oh no! Please no! He had only been to school for ONE day! How could he have chicken pox? So I immediatley rushed upstairs and called Nate, and then the Pediatrician. Of course, neither one was available to chat. So I got online and tried to figure out what they were. Well, some of them kind of looked like the beginnings of chicken pox, but others not so much. They didn't look anything like a rach caused by poisonous plants either. So I called the Dr again and made an appointment. Luckily they could fit us in that very morning. But I had to cancel my playdate plans.
Oh and do you remember the milk and bread and butter I left out downstairs? Well it would have been nice if I had remembered them. They got left out for 2 hours while I was running around like a crazy person. In fact the kids found them and put them away in their toy kitchen which was pretty cute, and if I hadn't been so stressed out I would have taken a picture. They even put the milk in the play dishwasher :) So cute.
So we go to the Dr and she says that she thinks it is an allergic reaction to the pennicillin he's been on for more than a week for his strep throat. I was floored. He's allergic to pennicillin??? That's really annoying. I just hope I can remember to tell all the right people that now. Oh dear.
But at least it wasn't chicken pox! I was already starting to calculate how much money it was going to cost us to keep him home from school for 2 weeks. So I was very grateful for that. Here are some pictures from that morning and when we were at the Dr's office. I know the close ups aren't too good, I'm still learning how to work this camera :)



I wish you could have seen this in person. It looked much worse than the pictures convey.

This is the first place I noticed it. The spots go all the way up and around his arm. They also extend to his chest and back.

Hives, hives everywhere, and not a drop of Benadryl (ok so that isn't entirely true, I just wasn't sure I could give him any, it says on the box not to use it on chicken pox).




He looked so bad an miserable, the poor guy!



He did so good though. He only complained a tiny bit. And he still played happily the entire time. He called his hives "the spotsies". It was so cute. "When you are sick you have the spotsies right mom?" Love this kid!





Here we are at the office waiting for the results. This is also a great example of his silly rabbit smile.







Yay! It's not chicken pox! Wuhoo! We can all breathe a sigh of relief! I am also grateful to know at this point in his short life that he is allergic to pennicillin. Hives we can deal with. Anaphylactic shock? Not so much. I tell you it has been one difficult situation after another this week but the Lord has provided an easy way out every time. I am learning a lot.





3 comments:

Des said...

holy cow. What a week...strep throat, and then all that? yuck. pictures really don't capture the severity of their injuries, BUT those still look bad! I'm glad he is on the mend! We think of you often!!

Chantalle R. said...

I'm so sorry. Wish I could be there. We could help each other through the bad weeks. Miss you tons.

Jenny Allen said...

OH baby-cakes. Those are two cute kids youve got there. What troopers - and I'm so glad that can figure out what the heck is wrong sometimes. You know - my sister and cousin have kids that are allergic to penicillan - some reaction after taking the medication for a time. crazy stuff. Miss you like crazy. Did I tell you I am so glad you do a blog.