teal flowers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

All's well that End's well

Just so no one gets anxious ;) there won't be any pictures for awhile. I will explain that in a minute. I want to take you all back to about two weeks ago. Let me set the scene.

It was a dreary saturday and we were all set to go to the bech with our dear friends. I was organized and on time! And I drove the Jeep that day. We went out to Lake Michigan, to Holland to be exact and had a great time playing there with our friends. Eventually I took the kids to the bathroom and that's when everything started to go wrong. When we got back our friends were moving all of our things back from the water. Apparantly a giant wave came and overtook out stuff while we were in the potty. So I quickly checked my bag and it seemed to me that the camera and the GPS were unscathed. But I was wrong. I found out later that the camera did not survive. But thankfully the GPS did. So that was the start.
On the way home was when we really started to have problems. We left the beach before our friends because it was getting colder and windier (is that a word?), and it was starting to sprinkle. I put a movie on for the kids and we headed back. It was a long drive, nearly two hours. And I was tired from the day. As we got off the freeway about 1 mile from our house, I looked at the light to check that it was green and then looked back at the kids, when I turned around there was a white Honda Civic right in front of me running perpendicular to my car. There was no time to stop and we collided. Luckily non of us was seriously injured. In fact the kids hardly noticed at all. I was really shaken up, but otherwise fine. There were three people in the other car and they all came out screaming at me. I called 911 and moved my car off the road. The man who was driving got a cut on his arm from the windshield smashing, but was otherwise fine. I told the police what happened. And called someone to pick me up. I called the insurance company when I got home and they got the car into a shop right away. The bumper was smashed in on one side, the passenger side door wouldn't open all the way, and the headlight was smashed. But it didn't seem too bad. I couldn't drive it though because the bumper was too close to the wheel and could have punctured it.
We have great insurance coverage (I have done this once before and learned my lesson), so the most we would have to pay was $500. Which sounded really good after we found out that the damage would cost $4000. Yikes! But today we were supposed to pick up the car, and they wanted the deductible when we picked it up. I've been fretting about this for 2 weeks. How would I be able to make my expenses? We don't have any credit cards so I couldn't charge it. I was getting really worried. But around 4 I received a call from our agent informing us that I was less than 50% at fault and we would not have to pay the deductible!!!! Thank you Lord! I am so incredibly blessed and thankful! This could have gone in so many different directions, and it could have been so much worse! I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father for the way this has turned out! I know he loves me, and knows me. What a huge blessing!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that it turned out ok. Hope it did not turn you off completely from the beach-next summer maybe? It seems that you have made tons of friends and I happy for that too!

Jenny Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny Allen said...

I'm glad that you are all ok. my heavens.

Trish said...

Yay!!! Heavenly Father loves his Keeley.
:o)

Sarah C said...

I am glad you are ok. I am sorry that happened to you.

Stephanie said...

That is a great ending to a not so fun story! I'm glad everything worked out and you guys are okay!