teal flowers

Monday, December 20, 2010

Corbin turns 5!

Well in ture Corbin fashion the 2 weeks leading up to his birthday were terrible! He was very naughty and difficult. So I determined that he would have to earn his birthday presents this year. My mother thought I was being terrible, but I knew there was a lesson to be learned, and by golly, he was going to learn it! So his birthday came and we talked about how he had been so naughty, and that he was going to have to be on his best behavior to be able to get his birthday presents. I explained that his behavior was unacceptable, and that I was not going to reward him for it. He understood, and over the next 5 days he worked really hard and was really good. So we invited our friends over and he got to finally open his presents.









I do not at all regret making him earn his presents. His behavior improved dramatically after this episode. He realized that there are real consequences for his actions, and he worked very hard on it afterwards. I think it really made us closer as a family. It is important to me that my children are grateful for what they have, respectful of others, and sincerely sorry when they make mistakes. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to teach him these things, and it really worked. I love my son, and these moments only make me love him all the more. He really valued his presents since he had to earn them. I am so proud of him and how far he has come. He is such a joy to us and we are so grateful to have him in our family.




1 comment:

Chantalle R. said...

Good for you!!! I think kids get away with way to much these days. Glad he had a "Good" birthday! :)