teal flowers

Monday, December 20, 2010

Gross and disturbing!

This post is not for the faint of heart, or weak of stomache. The pictures are graphic, but if you have seen them on facebook already you are prepared. One night after having put the kids to bed, Nathan and I were enjoying some quiet time in the living room. About 45 minutes after putting the kids to bed Madalyn comes out. Not crying, just wimpering, and I walk her back to her room. She is trying to tell me something that I am not understanding. Something about a light, and it coming out. When we finally get back to her room she walks over to the electrical outlet and tells me that she put a barrette in it and the light came out! She then tells me that her finger hurts. I run her to the bathroom and turn on the light to find her middle finger charred and black with a large crack down the middle. Yes a crack. Dry, and black. Not bleeding. Well, being the very calm and collected person I am...I immediately freak out, which leads to Madalyn realizing how bad the situation really is and she begins to cry :( Nathan comes and I explain what happened. So what do we do next? Ruch her to the emergency room? Oh no, Nathan has to call his ER friend and find out if we really need to take her. I call my dad and ask him to come over to be with Corbin while we go to the hospital. In my mind, there is no question, we are going to the hospital. When Nate finally gets off of the phone he isn't sure if we should or not, so I say better safe than sorry, let's go! We had given her some Motrin and she had calmed down again. So off we went. A couple of hours later, we were given a band-aid and some neosporin, a blanket, book, juice, yogurt and Cheetohs and sent on our way. That was the most expensive band-aid I have ever bought, but the peace of mind was priceless. We found out she had done th best possible thing in the situation. She had placed the open barrette simultaneously into both sides of the socket which meant that it was grounded, and so it only zapped out, instead of traveling through her body! Scary! But she was really fine, only some singe marks on her fingers and the open wound. By the next day the crack in her finger had filled in, as you will see shortly, and she was feeling all better. She also learned a valuable lesson about light sockets. We were just so happy that she was ok.





The offending barrette.








No comments: