teal flowers

Monday, December 20, 2010

When it rains, it floods :(

So imagine waking up on a cold sunday morning in late January to cries of "MOM! DAD! There is water in the basement!!!". Our kids went down to watch a movie and found some water. Our basement had flooded before so I had expectations of what I would find when I got down there. So I didn't see much, remember I was just rudely awakened, and I stepped onto the floor which was covered in foam tiles only to sink! That was pretty scary. There was 2 inches of water across our entire basement! And boy was it COLD. Apparantly this is what happened: we had a thaw that melted all of the snow and caused the sump pump to work over time. Then it got cold again and when the pump was pushing the water out the water froze in the pipes. Since the water had no where to go the sump pump was working hard, and continuously until it died. Hence the 2 inches of water in the basement. It took 2 days, a rented pump and fans, several men, and a new sump pump to fix the problem. We also learned that water was seeping in between the cinder blocks in the wall. Fun! :) Fortunately everything was safe, we didn't lose anythign to water damage, and no one was hurt. What an experience. We will never forget this. This is fuzzy because I was running. That water was freezing! It froze you to your bones.


It is hard to see but all of that is water. The entire floor is covered.


This shows you why I couldn't see the water when I came downstairs. The foam tiles completely masked it. It was a very interesting experience to sink into the floor when I wasn't expecting it!








1 comment:

Chantalle R. said...

That is so crazy! I remember when our water heater burst and flooded our apartment. We too didn't lose anything but the water seeped into the floor and the walls of the people below us and they lost a lot. I am glad you are all safe! Miss you.